Physiotherapy Elective Placements in Sri Lanka
- Placement locations: Towns between Negombo and Colombo
- Role: To gain experience from local staff and add to your previous physiotherapy training
- Requirements: You must be currently studying at university for a degree in Physiotherapy. If you are not an elective student please go to our standard Physiotherapy project in Sri Lanka page
- Type of placement: Hospitals and care centres for children with disabilities
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Qualified supervisor, food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 4 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
You can take your Physiotherapy Elective in Sri Lanka with Projects Abroad. Physiotherapy students mainly work in large government hospitals. You will be busy, and your time here will be worthwhile.
Projects Abroad will help co-ordinate your trip and liaise with your university to make sure your placement fulfils the objectives of your Elective module. Our in-country staff will be in close communication with you to help with your preparations. Once in Sri Lanka you will be allocated a dedicated supervisor. They will be a qualified member of staff who will ensure your time at their placement provides you with the learning platform you require for your studies.
Your Role on a Physiotherapy Elective
In the hospital where your placement is based, you will shadow existing staff who are keen to give you time so you can learn from them. By becoming a valuable member of their team, and showing how enthusiastic you are, you may find you get more to do. You could work with a variety of patients such as those needing rehabilitation, elderly people and stroke victims.
Other Options for Physiotherapy Electives
We also have placements in a care home for disabled children. These children are severely disabled and it can be an intense experience. Children here benefit from one-to-one treatment that is not just physically beneficial, but it also helps to stimulate them mentally too. Your Physiotherapy experience will be valued at this care home.
Students can also be involved in working with children from local care centres, identifying those who need to receive physiotherapy or other treatments. You will work on a one-to-one basis with each child giving them valuable physiotherapy support and also concentrated attention, which will also help improve their quality of life.
While in Sri Lanka, you will live with one of our host families, therefore experiencing the real Sri Lanka. We also have a Projects Abroad volunteer community you can spend your time with outside of work, when exploring the surrounding area.
Please be aware that most universities have deadlines by which time your Elective application paperwork must be completed. If your university needs information on the hospital or clinic in which you will be placed, or requires forms to be signed by your project supervisor, we strongly advise completing our application form at least one month before this deadline. We can only provide this detailed information once you have applied and been accepted onto an Elective placement with us.
If you have any questions please call us on +44 (0) 1273 007230.