Physiotherapy Elective Placements in Bolivia
- Placement locations: Cochabamba
- Role: To gain experience from local staff and add to your previous physiotherapy training
- Requirements: You must speak Spanish to an intermediate level. You must be currently studying at university for a degree in Physiotherapy. If you are not an elective student please go to our standard Physiotherapy project in Bolivia page
- Type of placement: Hospitals and care centres for children with disabilities
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Qualified supervisor, food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 4 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Students on their Physiotherapy Elective work at various centres for disabled children. The centres help children through a variety of sessions including physiotherapy, hydrotherapy, psychology and speech therapy, and students with skills in these other areas would also be very welcome. Physiotherapy Elective students also get involved in identifying and working with children from local orphanages that need to receive physiotherapy or other treatments.
Placements are also available in a burns unit within a hospital. Here you can help with social integration, functional rehabilitation, and sensorial recovery of the patients. Patients are babies and children from new-borns up to the age of fifteen who have suffered a range of accidents from scalding to fire related burns.
You will be given a qualified supervisor who will coordinate your placement. They have experience working with students on Physiotherapy Electives and will be keen to test out your knowledge, as well as giving you the benefit of their training and experience.
Organising Your Elective Placement
Projects Abroad are available to liaise with your university if needed. We can help with specific paperwork. Our experienced local staff will be able to work with you to ensure your placement fulfils the requirements of your Elective module before you arrive.
Physiotherapy Elective students in Bolivia should be aged 18 or older and will need intermediate Spanish in order to communicate directly with the majority of local staff and patients. Many Elective students who lack confidence in their Spanish language ability take a Spanish Language course or join a Teaching or Care project before joining their Medicine & Healthcare programme. This gives you the opportunity to improve your language skills before starting the medical part of your placement.
While in Bolivia, you will live with one of our host families and spend your free time experiencing the delights of Cochabamba city and its surrounds with the Projects Abroad volunteer community.
Please be aware that most universities have deadlines by which time your Elective application paperwork must be completed. If your university needs information on the hospital or clinic in which you will be placed, or requires forms to be signed by your project supervisor, we strongly advise completing our application form at least one month before this deadline. We can only provide this detailed information once you have applied and been accepted onto an Elective placement with us.
If you have any questions please call us on +30 2177008535.