Nursing Elective Placements in Peru
- Placement locations: Cusco
- Role: To gain experience from local staff and add to your previous nursing training
- Requirements: You must speak Spanish to an intermediate level. You must be currently studying at university for a degree in Nursing. If you are not an elective student please go to our standard Nursing project in Peru page
- Type of placement: Hospitals
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Qualified supervisor, food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
If you choose to take your Nursing Elective in Peru you will have a really worthwhile learning experience in one of our partner hospitals. Our Nursing programme in Peru is based in the World-Heritage city of Cusco, the ancient capital of the Incan Empire.
Projects Abroad are on hand to liaise with your university to ensure the placement chosen for your Nursing Elective meets the requirements of your module. Our in country staff will co-ordinate with you and help with any pre-departure paperwork and queries. When you are in Peru, you will have a supervisor, who is a qualified member of the hospital staff. They will ensure you are learning and having a fulfilling time on your placement.
Regular group meetings are organised so students and Projects Abroad volunteers have the opportunity to ask questions about their week. You will be able to reflect back on your work, and also discuss different aspects of the Peruvian medical sector. Students who are enthusiastic and have a pro-active approach will get a great deal out of the programme.
Options for Elective Students
The hospital you are allocated to will depend upon your chosen specialism. We have opportunities for elective students in the two biggest hospitals in Cusco, plus placements in a specialist hospital for anyone focusing on obstetrics and gynaecology. There may also be opportunities to spend time in a children’s rehabilitation hospital. This hospital is run by a priest and they look after many children with special needs.
For all Nursing placements in Peru, you need at least intermediate Spanish. You must also be able to commit to a minimum of two weeks on the project.
Accommodation in Peru
While you are on your Nursing Elective in Peru, you will stay with one of our local host families. They are warm and welcoming and you will quickly become part of their family. You will also meet other Projects Abroad volunteers who you can spend your free time with exploring the area.
Please be aware that most universities have deadlines by which time your Elective application paperwork must be completed. If your university needs information on the hospital or clinic in which you will be placed, or requires forms to be signed by your project supervisor, we strongly advise completing our application form at least one month before this deadline. We can only provide this detailed information once you have applied and been accepted onto an Elective placement with us.
If you have any questions please call us on +44 (0) 1273 007230.