Medicine Elective Placements in Vietnam
- Placement location: Hanoi
- Role: To gain experience from local staff and add to your previous medical training
- Requirements: You must be currently studying at university for a degree in Medicine. If you are not an elective student please go to our standard Medicine project in Vietnam page
- Type of placements: Hospitals
- Accommodation: Host family or shared volunteer apartments
- Price: From
- What’s included? Qualified supervisor, food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
As a student doing their Medical Elective in Vietnam with Projects Abroad, you will be working in one of several hospitals in Hanoi. Our placements include a hospital that focuses only on various surgeries and a traditional hospital. When you apply, please let us know which kind of hospital you would prefer to work in.
Students can choose from a range of different departments. These include the main hospital departments (surgery, paediatrics, oncology, internal medicine, dermatology, acupuncture, ICU, cardiology, traditional medicine, and dentistry), as well as radiology and plastic surgery departments.
Medical Students Electives in Vietnam with Projects Abroad
Your role will be to shadow one of our supervising doctors, who are all experienced at working with students from other countries. All the doctors speak English and will be eager to test out your knowledge, as well as giving you the benefit of their training and experience.
You will have the opportunity to discuss specific cases with your supervisor, depending on your chosen specialism and university requirements. You are likely to work in close proximity to Vietnamese medical students, who are always interested in medicine and life in general in North America.
Elective students stay with a local host family or in a Projects Abroad rented volunteer house depending on the location of their placement. There is so much to explore and discover in Hanoi and you will have a chance to get to know other volunteers from the lively Projects Abroad volunteer community.
You can join a Medicine Elective in Vietnam for two or three weeks if you don't have time to join us for four weeks or more. Please be aware that the number of departments you can experience may be limited and you may not be able to make the same impact as someone here for a longer period.
Please be aware that most universities have deadlines by which time your Elective application paperwork must be completed. If your university needs information on the hospital or clinic in which you will be placed, or requires forms to be signed by your project supervisor, we strongly advise completing our application form at least one month before this deadline. We can only provide this detailed information once you have applied and been accepted onto an Elective placement with us.
If you have any questions please call us on +44 (0) 1273 007230.