Volunteer Dentistry Projects in Sri Lanka
- Placement location: Panadura and Colombo
- Role: To observe and assist with skilled dentists and dental staff whilst learning about the Dentistry practice in a developing country
- Types of placements: Hospitals and outreach work
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 4 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
As a Dentistry volunteer in Sri Lanka with Projects Abroad, you will gain a great deal of valuable work-experience. You will work with skilled dentists and dental staff and will learn a lot about the Dentistry practice in a developing country.
We work with a variety of hospitals in Sri Lanka, and you will be placed in a hospital dentistry department. You will be learning from staff who are very experienced at providing all aspects of dental healthcare. Patients travel to the main towns where we work from the surrounding regions. The facilities may look run-down from the outside, but the equipment and resources available are comparable to what is found in the West.
Your Role as a Dentistry Volunteer
As a dentistry volunteer, your role will be mainly to shadow and observe staff. You will witness a variety of dental procedures and general oral health-care. Previous volunteers have also taken part in outreach programmes providing general oral health care to children in outlying communities.
Our dentists in Sri Lanka are really keen for you to learn from them. Using your initiative and showing willingness, and also volunteering to help staff with their duties will ensure that your experience is worthwhile and you become part of their valued team.
While volunteering in Sri Lanka you will live with a host family. This will be a wonderful experience as you will be involved in real day-to-day life. Outside of work there is a lot to see and do in Sri Lanka and an enthusiastic volunteer community to experience it with.
You can read more detailed information about the aims of the project in our Sri Lanka Medicine & Healthcare Management Plan.